Atlantic Superstore locations collecting items for local food banks

Atlantic Superstore locations in the Fredericton area need your help to collect food and money for local food banks.

The Smythe Street location is collecting in support of the Greener Village Community Food Centre, the Nashwaaksis store is supporting the Fredericton Community Kitchen, and the Oromocto location is collecting for the Oromocto Food Bank.

All of the food donations and 85 per cent of cash donations made at the Fredericton area stores will go directly to the food banks, while the remaining 15 per cent of donated cash will support provincial food bank programs.

The food drive runs until April 13.

According to Food Banks Canada's annual HungerCount report, an estimated 19,769 New Brunswickers rely on food banks in an average month.

Loblaw Companies Ltd. and its banner stores hope to raise $1.2 million and 700,000 pounds of food this spring nationally.