City's 2019 spring yard cleanup program dates announced
The City of Fredericton's annual "Spring Yard Cleanup" program will be held during the weeks of May 6 to 10 and May 20 to 24.
The city says the cleanup is intended to collect garden and yard waste, as well as limbs and branches, and residents are advised that only compostable (leaf) paper bags will be accepted for garden and yard waste.
The one week gap between pickups will allow residents extra time to clean up around their yards.
Pickups will occur on your regular garbage day when possible.
The "Spring Yard Cleanup" Program is separate from the city's Flood Debris Pickup Collection, which runs May 6-24.
The following guidelines must be met for yard waste to be accepted for the "Spring Yard Cleanup" program:
- only garden and yard waste placed in compostable paper bags will be accepted;
- limbs/branches are to be separated from other refuse so they can be shredded;
- branches should be no bigger than 5 cm in diameter x 1.5 m in length (2" x 5')
- loose brush must be tied in bundles
- individual bundles or items should not exceed 1.5 m (5 feet) in any dimension;
- the items or bundles should weigh less than 30 kg (65 pounds) each;
- yard waste should only go to the curb on pickup weeks and not before;
- materials should be piled separately from regular garbage;
- this cleanup is not intended for pickup of major items such as furniture, stoves, refrigerators, bed springs and mattresses, or residue from major tree removal or major clearing operations;
The city says material that does not meet the guidelines can be taken directly to the Fredericton Regional Landfill (1775 Alison Boulevard).