Crowne Plaza evacuated due to chlorine gas

The Crowne Plaza in Fredericton was evacuated on Sunday due to the presence of chlorine gas. 

Dwayne Killingbeck, acting platoon captain with the Fredericton Fire Department, tells our newsroom that fire crews were called to the hotel around 9:15 a.m., after an employee mistakenly mixed some pool chemicals together, which created the gas. 

He says the hotel was evacuated as a safety precaution, adding there were no injuries. 

Killingbeck says the barrel containing the chemicals was sealed and removed from the building, which was also ventilated to ensure all traces of the gas were removed.

Once the chlorine levels returned to normal, people were let back into the plaza.