First-ever Fredericton Bike Week Planned
The City of Fredericton says it is proud to be the lead sponsor of the very first Fredericton Bike Week - a new nine day festival being hosted from May 25-June 2.
In a press release, the city says the citywide event is aimed at bringing residents, businesses and organizations together to promote active transportation, safe cycling, community-building and an active, healthy and environmentally responsible lifestyle through cycling.
The City will host a Bike Week Kick-off event at the back of Officer's Square on Saturday May 25 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
According to the press release, the event will feature information and demonstrations from various organizations and businesses, including a kids' bike rodeo, a demonstration on how to properly use Fredericton Transit bus bike racks and others.
Other activities planned include:
- Daily guided bike rides by Folks on Spokes;
- Bike maintenance workshops hosted by UNB and Radical Edge;
- a Botanists on Bikes tour hosted by the Ville Cooperative;
- a group trail and jump ride at the Dirt Jump Skills Parks (next to the Grant-Harvey Centre);
- an Open Bike session to try jumps and ramps at the Northside Youth Centre (Willie O'Ree place)
The city says the Bike Week Committee is accepting applications for hosting an event and participating in the kick-off event until Wednesday May 15.
Registration information and a full schedule of events can be found here.