Multi-Year project for Lian Valcour neighborhood park kicks off this summer
Work is set to begin on the new park for the Lian Valcour neighborhood later this summer.
The City of Fredericton says natural play equipment, extensive trails and year-round access are just some of the proposed features of the new park.
Residents helped create the Lian Valcour Neighborhood Park Development Master Plan by attending engagement sessions and workshops and completing surveys.
A release says ideas from the engagement included ensuring the park focused on the following:
- Nature Play - providing a playground built with natural materials when possible.
- All Age and Inclusivity - offering a park where residents of all ages and abilities have opportunities to socialize and play on their own terms.
- Two Purposes for Every Object - providing park components that serve a dual use for both social and play activity.
- Extended Activity - offering a design that focuses on social and play activities but allow for walking, biking, snowshoeing, yoga and concerts.
- All-Season Access - providing a park that is accessible year-round no matter the season.
- Eyes on the Park - offering a design where future neighborhood development can view into the site.
The City says the development of the park will be broken into three phases, beginning with the construction of a walking loop and trail into the park from Valcour Drive later this year.
Work on creating an activity center, nature trails and remaining park amenities will follow over the coming years.
The park will serve residents living south of Bishop Drive and adjacent to Lian Street and Valcour Drive.