Neighbours help control chimney fire while homeowners out

Thanks to some neighbours, a Douglas family's home received minor damage after a chimney caught fire last night.

Fredericton Fire Platoon Chief, Steve Fraser tells us that the homeowners weren't around at the time, but their neighbours who were doing work in the garage next door noticed flames shooting from the roof when they stepped outside.

Fraser says they were able to contain the fire on Highfield Road with a garden hose before fire crews arrived, just before 9:30.

Crews were on scene for about an hour.

There was minor damage to the roof and attic and no injuries reported.