Layered Blueberry Hazelnut or Walnut Cheese Wheel
1 wheel with 3 cups of compote
5” round (350 g) Brie, Camembert or any soft rind cheese
1½ cups (225 g) B.C blueberries - fresh or frozen
¼ cup (60 ml) red wine
2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp (30 g) brown sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon zest
2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
¼ tsp (pinch) black pepper
1/8 tsp (pinch) salt
Sprig fresh rosemary
½ cup (75 g) hazelnuts or walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1. Cut the cheese round in half horizontally. Place bottom half, cut side up on a serving platter. Set aside at room temperature with the top half of cheese.
2. In a saucepan, bring the blueberries, red wine, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper and salt to a boil.
3. Simmer uncovered on a medium heat for approximately 20-30 minutes, until reduced to a thick compote.
4. Add the whole rosemary sprig in the last 2 minutes of cooking, then remove.
5. Spoon half the hot compote over the bottom half of cheese. Cover with the top half of cheese (cut side down) and top with remaining compote and hazelnuts/walnuts.
6. Serve with fresh fruit and crackers.