City of Barrie Closures and Cancellations:
City taking further precautions to help prevent spread of COVID-19
Members of the City’s Emergency Control Group met on the afternoon of March 13 to discuss contingency plans and any impacts to City services as a result of COVID-19. The group includes senior leadership from departments across the City including Fire and Police. The team consulted the Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Gardner, for direction on what the City can do to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
As a result, the following service changes are effective Saturday, March 14:
- All City recreation facilities and arenas are closed until further notice. Please contact your neighbourhood recreation facility for any refunds.
- Sadlon Arena is closed until further notice. Please call the Allandale Recreation Centre at (705) 728-5141 for further information.
- City theatres are closed until further notice. Please contact the Box Office at 705-739-4228 or firstname.lastname@example.org for ticket refunds.
- Barrie Public Library branches are closed until further notice.
- City Ward meetings and planning meetings are cancelled until further notice.
- Council Advisory Committee meetings are cancelled until further notice.
- General Committee and Council meetings will continue but will be closed to the public. Residents are encouraged to watch the meetings on Rogers TV or online. The next meeting is March 23.
Although a specific emergency has not been declared at this time, and the current risk level remains low for the general population, the team will continue to meet regularly to discuss contingency and business continuity planning related to COVID-19.