Pack the lunches.! School is in session after CUPE deal
A strike that would have begun this morning, and that would have closed hunddreds of schools across the province, has been averted.
Education minister Steven Lecce delivered the news last night, that a tentative deal was reached, between the province, CUPE and the school boards.
Ratification votes will be held in the coming weeks, but all sides seem pretty content with the deal.
No details are being released, but Lecce says the paid leave issue was addressed, while CUPE says that its members, custodians, e.a's, and clerical staff, remain the lowest paid workers in the education system.
So bottom line, school is open across the board this morning, and buses will be running.
From the Catholic Board.....
CUPE STRIKE AVERTED - SMCDSB SCHOOLS OPEN
October 6, 2019 - BARRIE, ON: The SMCDSB learned on Sunday evening at approximately 9 p.m. that CUPE negotiations were successful and a tentative deal has been reached. A custodial strike will not be taking place on Monday, October 7. All SMCDSB schools will be open for student learning, classes and programs will be operating and buses will be running. In addition, Before and After school programs will be operational.
Please note that Community Use of Facilities, i.e., gymnasium rentals that were cancelled will remain cancelled until at least Thursday of this week. The Board will make these facilities available again as soon as possible. Some programming and/or extracurricular activities that were cancelled last week in anticipation of potential strike action may take a few days to reschedule.
Beginning on Monday, October 7th custodial staff will resume regular duties, which includes core services that were previously withdrawn during their work to rule campaign.
“Our custodial team provides an invaluable service, ensuring a safe and clean environment for our students and staff to learn and work,” said Brian Beal, Director of Education. “We are pleased that they were able to negotiate a fair settlement.”