Pipe de-icing sparks fire in Buckingham home
Gatineau firefighters say one person was injured in a fire at a home in Buckingham that was sparked by de-icing work.
The fire started in the basement on David Street during de-icing work on a pipe. It spread up the back wall of home in the Buckingham sector to the second floor.
The region was under an extreme cold warning at the time, with temperatures below minus 20 C and wind chills around minus 30 for much of the day.
Firefighters were called just after 5 p.m. Saturday and had the blaze under control by 7 p.m. Fire officials say the response limited the spread, though the fire still did an estimated $14,500 in damage.
The condition of the injured person was not released.
The city of Ottawa will launch its annual campaign to deal with wild parsnip next week, the invasive plant that can cause skin and eye irritation and makes the skin prone to burning and blistering.
Advance polls opened on Thursday and are open daily until Saturday, May 28 in all ridings across Ottawa.
Country star Brett Kissel has postponed his concert at Ottawa's Arena at TD Place tonight due to an issue with his voice.