Niagara Falls Fire warns of red protective tape left on smoke alarms in new homes

CKTB - NEWS - Red protective tape smoke alarms

The Niagara Falls Fire Department is reminding people moving into newly constructed homes to check smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

A resident brought concerns about smoke alarms in her new home to the fire department.

When staff went to the property, they discovered protective red tape had not been removed from the base of the alarm after construction.

Upon investigation, other homes in the neighbourhood had the same issue.

"This is a significant safety concern as we know that working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are essential life saving devices. We appreciate the public’s cooperation with this effort," stated Chief Boutilier.