City of Owen Sound Cooling Centre and Emergency Resources
Cooling Centre and Emergency Resources
Owen Sound, Ontario – Tuesday, June 9, 2020 – In response to the warm temperatures and the closure of city facilities due to COVID-19, the City of Owen Sound has set up an outdoor cooling station in the sheltered, open-air space located at the Farmers’ Market pavilion.
Chairs will be available in the pavilion from 10:00 AM – 4:30 PM throughout the week until temperatures cool.
Users of the cooling centre must maintain proper physical distancing at all times and use the hand sanitizer provided. An industrial fan will be used to circulate air through the space.
Tips for staying cool in warm temperatures include:
• Stay in an air-conditioned indoor location as much as you can;
• Drink plenty of fluids even if you don’t feel thirsty;
• Schedule outdoor activities carefully;
o Wear loose, lightweight, light-coloured clothing and sunscreen;
o Pace yourself;
• Take cool showers or baths to cool down;
• Check on a friend or neighbour and have someone do the same for you; and
• Never leave children or pets in cars.
Residents requiring assistance, emergency shelter or amenities are also reminded to call 211. 211 is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. An online 211 resource is also available.
For more information, please contact Tim Simmonds, City Manager at 519-376-4440 ext 1210 or email to email@example.com.
City Hall is located at 808 2nd Avenue East, Owen Sound, ON. N4K 2H4.