Owen Sound Household Hazardous Waste Days Resume
Household Hazardous Waste Days Resume
Owen Sound, Ontario – Tuesday, June 30, 2020 – The City of Owen Sound will be resuming Household Hazardous Waste Days. The event scheduled for Saturday, July 11, 2020 will be postponed until Saturday, July 25, 2020. This event will take place at the Public Works facility at 1900 20th Street East from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Preventative measures have been established for residents and staff to drop off and receive items respectively in a safe manner in an effort to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus. The following are suggestions and requirements that will create an efficient process:
- Residents are encouraged to print off a copy of the Hazardous Waste Report Form prior to arrival. Pens will not be supplied.
- All vehicles will enter from the west gate and exit from the east gate. Vehicular access through the building will no longer be permitted. A new layout of the site and route is attached.
- All residents must remove their items from their vehicle themselves and place them on the receiving tables. We encourage residents to bring a family member to assist in helping remove items as staff will not be assisting with transfer of objects.
- Once the items have been placed on the receiving tables, residents will be asked to step back from the table and maintain social distancing while staff sort through their items.
- If it is determined that any items cannot be accepted, residents will be asked to take those items back.
- Used fuel containers (gasoline and/or diesel) will not be accepted for return. All fuel must be in a container you are willing to part with.
This program is open to residents from the following municipalities in 2020:
City of Owen Sound
Township of Chatsworth
Township of Georgian Bluffs
Municipality of Grey Highlands
Municipality of Meaford
Municipality of West Grey
Please note that we do not accept the following:
- Infectious wastes (such as syringes);
- Radioactive wastes;
- Explosives (ammunition, flares, gun powder);
- Unidentified waste (unlabeled items); and
- Improperly contained waste (compromised containers, missing lids, leaking materials).
The City cannot accept hazardous waste from commercial, industrial or farm operations.
There will be four more Household Hazardous Waste Days in 2020:
August 15, September 12, October 3 and October 24
The City of Owen Sound’s Household Hazardous Waste Days are aimed at keeping hazardous waste out of Ontario’s landfills and waterways. The materials you drop off are recycled or otherwise disposed of in a safe and environmentally friendly matter. Working together will ensure our environment is protected for future generations.
- 30 -
For more information, please contact Cassandra Cesco, Supervisor of Environmental Services at 519-376-4440 ext. 3223 or email email@example.com.
City Hall is located at 808 2ndAvenue East, Owen Sound, N4K 2H4.