West side apartment fire deemed accidental

cjos fire

A fire that gutted a west side apartment unit in Owen Sound has been deemed accidental. 

Crews were called on Sunday just before 9am to the 14th Street West building across from the Legion.

The unit was fully engulfed in flames. 

The male occupant of the apartment was able to escape without injuries.

He was taken to hospital as a precaution along with two other elderly residents of the building.

The damage estimate is not yet known.  

Other apartment units near the fire received smoke and water damage. 

Officials from Grey County Housing quickly attended the building to assist with clean up and to assist with displaced tenants.   

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.  

Witnesses tell Dock News the fire was started when the tennant had an open flame near an oxygen tank.     

Check out what we've been playing!