Gas leak closes off George St. in Byward Market


A portion of the Byward Market was blocked off Tuesday night after a gas line ruptured along George St. 

Some businesses along George St. were closed and evacuated. Others in the area were told to stay indoors. A strong smell of gas could be detected on Rideau Street at the time.

Fire says the leak originated at 60 George Street, a location near the McDonalds restaurant.

Enbridge was on scene as of 11:00 p.m., and gas has been shut off to the line. Ottawa Fire reopened the area shortly after midnight. 

No injuries were reported.