Coffee sales sending kids to camp
A hot cup of coffee, or an iced coffee in this heat, is all it takes to make a difference in a child’s life.
Tim Hortons Camp Day is back Wednesday, July 21, when 100 per cent of all hot and iced coffee sales will send kids to camp.
The 30th-anniversary event has raised more than $212 million over the years, and coffee drinkers are being called to make this year a milestone.
“Last year was $11 million, we’re hoping to go over that this year,” Vernon Tim Hortons owner Dan Currie said.
The fundraiser has enabled 300,000 kids to attend camp at no cost.
This year, and last, the camps are virtual but are still taking place over an eight-week period for underprivileged kids.
“These kids come from pretty rough backgrounds,” Currie said.
Each store raises enough funds to send approximately two kids to camp. Therefore with four stores in the North Okanagan, there are about eight local kids who benefit.
Along with buying coffee, customers can purchase Camp Day bracelets for a $2 donation and/or give a donation with their order.
“A lot of customers round up their order to an even number, so that’s a nice way to donate without doing anything,” said Currie.
Camp Day traditionally takes place the first week of June, but the event was pushed back due to COVID-19 public health restrictions.
Here are ways Tim Hortons guests can participate in Camp Day this year:
- Place an order for hot or iced coffee at a Tim Hortons restaurant, or through the Tim Hortons app for pickup or delivery on July 21
- On July 21, proceeds from the sales of a Tim Hortons Take 12 — which includes 12 small coffees along with cups, dairy and sweeteners — are also being donated to the Foundation. Guests can fill out a pre-order form for a Tim Hortons Take 12 in restaurants so their whole work team or family can support Camp Day together
- Starting July 7, purchase a Camp Day bracelet for $2 in one of four vibrant colours, with 100% net proceeds going directly to Tims Camps
- Round up your order to the nearest dollar in restaurant, or in the Tim Hortons app, with 100% of the balance going to support the Tim Hortons Foundation Camps
- +Make a one-time or monthly donation any time at www.timscamps.com