Highway 3 reopened, evacuation order lifted for properties due to rock slide near Keremeos
The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC) has RESCINDED the Evacuation Order issued for Electoral Area “G”. The RESCIND is effective Tuesday, November 7, 2023, at 5:00 pm. A geotechnical assessment of the situation was completed this afternoon and determined that the risk of rock fall has returned to previous levels.
Highway 3 has reopened. Watch for traffic control and lane closures between Hedley-Nickleplate Rd and Ashnola Rd for 5.5 km (3 to 9 km west of Keremeos). Reduced to one lane each direction. Reduced speed zone.
For the latest updates on local highways, please visit DriveBC.ca.
Power has been restored to the area.
TELUS services are currently experiencing a disruption impacting landline phones in Keremeos, Electoral Area “G” due to the rockslide, which may affect your ability to reach emergency (911) services. Impacted services include 911 Landline, Internet, Home Phone, and Optik/PIK TV. TELUS mobility services are not affected.
Due to safety reasons, service technicians are standing down, and will continue to work with local authorities to ensure safe access to the site as quickly as possible.
For further information, please visit https://www.telus.com/en/bc/outages
All perishable foods should be disposed of immediately upon your return. Take photos of all food to be thrown out for a possible insurance claim.
- Refrigerated food
- If the temperature inside the fridge has increased above the normal temperatures.
- Any food that shows signs of spoilage or odours.
- If your refrigerator has foul odours after cleaning, it may need to be replaced.
- Frozen food:
- Frozen food is probably safe, unless the freezer was exposed to heat from a fire, to floodwaters or has been without power for an extended period.
- If the electricity is off, keep the freezer closed. It has enough insulation to keep food frozen for up to three days without power.
- Discard anything that has completely thawed or has questionable colour or odour.
- Canned food:
- Tinned goods should be good for consumption unless the can has bulged, is badly dented or has rusted – throw these ones out.
- All undamaged canned goods should be washed and disinfected if they have been exposed to flood waters or smoke.
- Open food:
- Food left unrefrigerated and in bowls or on counters.
Solid Waste Collection
- Curbside Collection: The RDOS waste collection curbside service will remove garbage bag limits for your first normal pickup day after re-entry and for the following-week. Please remember, garbage bags need to weigh less than 25kg (50 pounds) to be lifted.
- Fridge or Freezer Disposal: If you have refrigerator or freezer units that require disposal due to a prolonged power outage, please contact the RDOS Solid Waste Management Coordinator for further instructions – they cannot go directly into the landfill.
Questions regarding curbside pickup or other waste disposal can be directed to the RDOS Solid Waste Management Coordinator at 250-490-4129.