Road crews in West Kelowna ready ahead of first snowfall
Winter-like conditions are in the forecast and City of West Kelowna crews and roads contractor AEL are ready.
Crews are preparing for the forecasted weather by placing brine on designated routes.
Equipment will roll out in priority sequence:
- Priority 1 – Arterial roads such as Boucherie, Glenrosa, Shannon Lake and Westlake Roads to ensure that the most travelled roads are passable for emergency crews, BC Transit and other priority services.
- Priority 2 – Collector roads such as Auburn, Elliott, Gellatly, Ross and Thacker Roads along with school bus routes, urban centres and school zones, as conditions allow.
- Priority 3 – Neighbourhood streets, no-thru roads, cul-de-sacs and crescents, within 48 hours after snow stops falling.
To learn more about our winter roads maintenance and view our roads priority map, visit westkelownacity.ca/snow.
We also ask residents to help crews clear the way:
- Park off-street for up to 48 hours after the snowfall ends and until snow is cleared.
- Remove snow and ice from sidewalks and walkways bordering your property.
- Do not shovel snow from driveways and sidewalks back onto the street.
- Pile snow on your property and keep storm drains and hydrants as clear as possible.
If crews have not been to your street within 48 hours after snow falls, please submit an online service request.
Motorists are also reminded to drive according to conditions by:
- Reducing speeds
- Leaving extra space between vehicles
- Keeping your headlights on
For roads maintenance on Highways 97 and 97C and Westside Road call AIM at 1-866-222-4204. For WR Bennett Bridge, call Protrans at 1-888-769-2925.