Waterfront properties vulnerable to wind and boat generated wave action
Weather patterns this spring have been challenging and unpredictable, resulting in sudden changes to creek, stream and lake levels throughout the Central Okanagan.
Forecasts for increasing temperatures and wind activity in the coming days and over the weekend could result in flooding and damage to properties not adequately protected.
In light of possible localized flooding, the City of West Kelowna continues to stock sand and sandbags at various self-serve locations near the city’s waterfront.
Staff will inspect and restock the sandbagging stations as needed by the end of day Friday in advance of hot weather and significant thundershower activity, which Environment Canada is forecasting for the weekend.
Sandbag stations are located at:
- Pebble Beach Park– 2585 Whitworth Road
- Beechnut Park– 2505 Whitworth Rd/George Court
- Powers Point Park– 4111 Gellatly Road (in vicinity of West Kelowna Yacht Club and Gellatly Boat Launch)
- Hitchner Park– 4081 Hitchner Road
- Sternwheeler Park – 1651 Pritchard Drive
- Falcon Park– 1341 Green Bay Road
- Casa Loma Beach Park – 2606 Casa Loma Road