Crash causes house fire in Amherstburg


A crash in Amherstburg has led to a house fire causing significant damage. 

Crews were called to County Road 18 around 12:30 a.m. Saturday.

Fire Chief Bruce Montone tells AM800 news that a vehicle left the roadway, took out a hydro pole and gas meter then entered the home igniting a natural gas fire. 

He adds the driver suffered very serious injuries and has been sent by air ambulance to the burn unit at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto. 

No one was home at the time as Montone says the family is away on vacation which is fortunate because the situation could've been much more dire. 

Firefighters from all three stations in the town were on the scene and heavy equipment was brought in to lift parts of the home so crews could access the flames. 

County Road 18 (Pike Rd) is shut down between County Road 9 and County Road 11 but will be reopening shortly. 

Windsor Police are investigating.