CAN-AM Golf Set For September 25
While COVID-19 has resulted in numerous event cancellations this year, one event that will go on is the 2020 Can-Am Golf Series fundraiser supporting the 2022 Police-Fire Games.
Friday, Sept. 25 is the date this year, and the golf will once again be played at the Roseland Golf and Curling Club.
The Canadian Mental Health Association is the games charity partner along with Team Goran of Re/Max Care Realty is in its fourth year Presenting Sponsor for the Golf Series.
Michael Chantler, the G.M. of the 2022 Can-Am Police-Fire Games tells AM800 Sports, they were always hopeful the tournament could continue this summer.
"Yes we made the prudent decision back in the spring, prior to the original June date, to move it rather than cancel it. We're really happy that things have come along such that, we're able to do something like this at an outdoor venue,’ he says.
Chantler says the Police-Fire Games will be fabulous here in a couple of years.
"The 2022 Can-Am Police-Fire Games are going to be awesome, not just for the participants and their families that are coming, but certainly for our local community. There's going to be opportunities to come out at and be spectators at some really interesting events. We have about 40 sports that we're planning right now."
Chantler told AM800's Steve Bell, he's confident it will be a wonderful day.
"We have a committee that we formed with some folks from the city, as well as our first responders and we've got a creative group in that room and we're going to do a lot of great activations. But we'll still keep in mind the physical distancing and make it a safe and fun day.
This year's 18-hole golf event will include:
- Registration and breakfast to be provided starting at 7:30 a.m., compliments of Tim Hortons
- A single cart and offer of scheduled tee-off times with foursomes to begin at 8 a.m.
- A boxed lunch served at the Halfway Hut on the course, followed by a "Guns N' Hoses" Patio Reception with beverage and food tastings
- Gift cards provided by The Keg Steakhouse & Bar offering patio service or take-out options, in place of the traditional BBQ dinner.
- Contests, prizes, player gift bag and a Fire Truck Ball Drop fundraiser to be livestreamed,
- Online activity, "On The Frontline" hosted by Canadian Mental Health Association, providing the community an opportunity to submit artwork and comments as a tribute to our local first responders.
Early bird registration is $200 per player or $800 per foursome runs from today until August 31, followed by regular registration until the deadline of September 14.
To become a sponsor, please contact event coordinators Nora Romero at email@example.com or Hayley Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.windsorcanamgolf.com.
— with files from Nora Romero and The City of Windsor's Jason Moore.