London Woman Confirmed as Third Case of Corona Virus
LONDON — A third case of the Coronavirus has been confirmed in Ontario — this time up the 401 in London.
A woman in her 20s arrived without symptoms from Wuhan, China to Toronto on January 23, 2020 and then went to London in a private vehicle.
The following day, she started showing symptoms and went to hospital.
Initially she tested negative, but additional testing came back positive.
"The risk continues to be very low for Ontarians in this regard and in accordance with the new case in London, it is the same thing," says Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams.
London Medical Officer of Health Dr. Chris Mackie says both systems worked well and the patient went above and beyond to protect the public.
"This is somebody who wore the equivalent of a surgical mask for her entire travel from Wuhan to London even though she didn't have symptoms at the time," he says. "Because of her awareness of the risks associated with travel to Wuhan, she went straight into isolation in her home when she returned home. The only time she has been out of her home since then is to hospital for testing and again wore the equivalent of a surgical mask."
Officials say the woman has had limited exposure to other people and has been in isolation since January 24, 2020.
Canada now has a total of four confirmed cases of the Coronavirus.