Nemak Workers Stand Ground Despite Court Order

am800-news-nemak-protest-september-5-2019

A court order won't rattle protesters at Nemak in west Windsor.

Workers are heading into day five of a blockade in response to the Mexican-owned company's move to stop production in mid-2020, instead of 2022 as is outlined in the latest collective agreement.

A Windsor judge ordered Unifor Local 200 members to comply with a cease and desist order Thursday. The order was originally issued by the Ontario Labour Relations Board earlier this week.

"We held our wages and the thing is, they still want to take it away no matter what," says Nemak employee Mary Schisler, who has worked at the plant for six years. "It doesn't matter how hard we've worked for it, they're still trying to take it away and we need to fight for this."

As far as Sean Shannon is concerned, workers will continue to stand their ground. 

"We stand beside each other, it's just not fair the way it's going because we didn't do anything wrong," he says. "We signed a contract and we had everything place, but six months later they pull it all out from underneath us and now they're trying to go legally to say we're in the wrong."

Sherri Pukay tells AM800 News union members are in for the long haul.

"I feel good to be here with my brothers and sisters in support and to fight for what we believe in and what we deserve," she says. "It's not right to have the rug pulled out from under our feet and if it goes on it goes on."

Local 200 President John D'Agnolo says the union's lawyers have received the injunction and have sent a rebuttal. He says the union is now waiting for a response. 

Sgt. Steve Betteridge tells AM800 News Windsor Police Service remains in contact with both sides on the issue, "and will work to keep the peace until the matter is resolved."

Nemak had hoped to resume production on Wednesday at 11pm.