Ontario to release fall economic statement today
TORONTO - Ontario is set to release its fall economic statement today to provide an update on the province's finances and plans for recovery from the pandemic.
Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy says Ontario has so far made great progress against COVID-19 and will unveil a plan that continues that fight.
He says it will also be about "building Ontario," including plans for transit, highways, broadband, hospitals and long-term care.
Bethlenfalvy also highlighted a theme of "working for workers," not long after the government proposed a host of worker-friendly measures such as a right to disconnect after hours, a ban on non-compete agreements, and requiring temporary help agencies to be licensed.
A $15 minimum wage, announced Tuesday by Premier Doug Ford, will be in legislation as part of the fall economic statement.
The latest projection for the 2021-2022 deficit is $32.4 billion, and the government said in its recent speech from the throne that economic recovery from the pandemic will be fuelled by growth, not spending cuts or tax hikes.