UPDATE: U.S. President Trump and First Lady Test Positive for COVID-19

Melania and Donald Trump

U.S. President Donald Trump has been moved to a military hospital for treatment as a precaution after testing positive for COVID-19.

Trump tweeted that he and First Lady Melania were quarantining after their positive test Thursday.

According to a report by The Associated Press, White House officials say Trump is to depart the White House by helicopter late Friday for Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.

The report goes on to say the move is a precaution and that Trump would work from the hospital's presidential suite for "the next few days" while he continues to carrying out his duties "without disruption" while recovering.

Hours before Trump announced he had contracted the virus, the White House said a top aide who had travelled with him during the week had tested positive.

Trump is 74-years-old, putting him at higher risk of serious complications from a virus that has infected more than 7 million people across the U.S. and killed more than 205,000 Americans.

According to the White House physician, Trump remains "fatigued" and had been injected with an experimental antibody cocktail for the virus.

The president's physician had said the president and the first lady, who is 50, "are both well at this time" and "plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence" in a memo earlier Friday.

It's not clear if the first lady will be joining the president at the hospital.

Trump had been scheduled to attend a fundraiser and hold another campaign rally in Sanford, Florida, on Friday evening. But just after 1 a.m., the White House released a revised schedule with only one event: a phone call on "COVID-19 support to vulnerable seniors."

Trump's announcement came hours after he confirmed that Hope Hicks, one of his most trusted and longest-serving aides, had been diagnosed with the virus Thursday. Hicks began feeling mild symptoms during the plane ride home from a rally in Minnesota on Wednesday evening, according to an administration official who spoke on condition of anonymity to disclose private information. She was isolated from other passengers aboard the plane, the person said.

Hicks had been with Trump and other senior staff aboard Marine One and Air Force One en route to that rally and had accompanied the president to Tuesday's presidential debate in Cleveland, along with members of the Trump family. They did not wear masks during the debate, in violation of the venue rules.

— with files from The Associated Press and CTV News