VIDEO: $1.2-Million Restaurant Fire in Windsor Not Suspicious
A large fire that gutted a Windsor restaurant caused $1.2-million in damages.
Fire crews were called after midnight early Thursday to the El-Mayor Restaurant on Wyandotte St. East and Parent Ave and remained on scene for more than 15 hours battling the blaze which included two aerial trucks.
The restaurant and a barber shop next door were destroyed.
Chief Fire Prevention Officer John Lee says it started between the ceiling and the roof of the restaurant on the north side and emphasizes the cause is not suspicious.
"I would suspect between the ceiling and the roof, it is likely an electrical failure," says Lee but noted the cause has not been confirmed yet.
"The roof did collapse in that area so shifting through what is there is cumbersome and difficult. At this point, they are trying to get aerial photos of the area, maybe to give them a better view."
No one was hurt and Lee expects the on-scene investigation will wrap up Friday.
Damage is pegged at $1.2-million after a fire at El-Mayor restaurant. @WindsorFire1’s John Lee to reporters the blaze may have been caused by electrical failure but not yet confirmed. OFM expected to wrap up investigation later today. #cklw @AM800News pic.twitter.com/mMtjJBnN1u— Rob Hindi (@rhindi800) January 4, 2019
--With files from AM800's Rob Hindi and Teresinha Medeiros