Ontario Moving Ahead with Municipal Funding Cuts in 2020
Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the province will move forward with some of its controversial cuts to municipal funding next year.
Speaking at a gathering of the Association of Municipalities of Ontario Monday, Ford says municipalities will have to pay 30% of public health care costs and 20% of creating new child care spaces starting January 1st.
The Progressive Conservative government had initially tried to force retroactive funding cuts but cancelled them after backlash from municipal leaders, who said their annual budgets had already passed.
It was unclear whether the cuts would go ahead next year until the government laid out its new plan this morning.