Nova Scotia State of Emergency
Under the state of emergency:
- Nova Scotia borders remain tightened to travellers and all entry points (land, sea, air) are being closely managed. Nova Scotians should only leave if essential. Anyone entering the province from outside of Atlantic Canada will be told to self-isolate for 14 days. However, if someone has already self-isolated in another Atlantic Canadian province, they can enter Nova Scotia without self-isolating again. Exemptions for cross-border travel include healthy workers in trades and transportations sectors who move goods and people (e.g. truck drivers); healthy people going to work (e.g. health-care workers); and people travelling into the province for essential health services (e.g. chemotherapy treatment)
- Parks and beaches have reopened. Social distancing guidelines must be followed.
- Police will be authorized to enforce orders under the Health Protection Act. If Nova Scotians and businesses do not practice social distancing and self-isolation, they will face fines of $1,000 for individuals and $7,500 for businesses. Multiple fines can be given each day an individual or business fails to comply. Police can also enforce offences under the Emergency Management Act. For example, fines for charging higher than fair market prices for goods and services
- There are several groups who are essential and exempt from gathering limits. They include but are not limited to grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies. If possible, one person per family should be designated to do these tasks. Other groups include construction sites, health-care services, community services (e.g. child protection), criminal justice services and law enforcement
Town of Truro
Truro Parks Recreation & Culture
- All Douglas Street Recreation Centre Room Rentals and Gym Rentals are cancelled until further notice
- All Colchester Legion Stadium Rentals cancelled
- Town of Truro Art Acquisition Program (postponed until April 2021)
Victoria Park is now open for individual activities. Many trails are only wide enough for you to travel single file, so be ready to step off the trail to let others pass by with plenty of space. When participating in any outdoor activity, take precautions to protect yourself and the people around you. You must practice social distancing during all activities. That means staying 2 metres (6 feet) away from people you don’t live with. Washrooms by the maintenance shed- now open.
Outdoor courts, fields and playgrounds will be open on June 19th within the Town of Truro. Please respect signage for maintenance schedule.
The Town of Truro will be extending the deadline for the renewal of Taxi licenses from April 1, 2020 to September 6, 2020.
Truro Police Service
- Additional restrictions have been put in place at the Truro Police Station to prevent individuals from entering the lobby area unless they have been cleared to do so.
- People are encouraged to call the Police Station for administrative inquiries instead of showing up in person at the police station. The police station will remain open 24/7 to the public for emergencies
- Suspending the use of the Community Room for public meetings until further notice
- When calling the Truro Police Station, dispatchers will be asking additional questions before dispatching Police officers to non-priority calls.
Municipality of Colchester
- Offices of the Municipality of Colchester (1 Church Street, Truro) are open for bill payment and pre-booked appointments only, weekdays 9 am-4 pm.
- You may continue to contact the Municipality by phone or email during regular business hours: Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm by calling the general line at 902-897-3160 or toll free (in Nova Scotia) 1-866-728-5144. Or visit Colchester.ca
- For the latest information about Municipal services please visit our website at www.colchester.ca or call 902-897-3160.
- Bill Payments may continue to be made online, or by depositing a cheque in the secure drop box at the rear entrance.
- Community Development: To discuss and submit applications for development permits, subdivisions, rezonings and development agreements, as well as requests for zoning letters, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902-897-3170 for instructions on how to proceed.
- Building Inspections: To discuss and submit building applications, please contact email@example.com or call 902-897-3170. To schedule a building inspection for a project under construction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902-897-3170.
- For emergency services such as a problem with Municipal Water or Municipal Sewer please call Public Works at (902) 897-3175.
- For inquiries relating to garbage, compost or recycling contact: 902-895-4777.
- In case of night and/or weekend emergencies, call 902-897-3175.
- Curbside collection will continue as regularly scheduled. Call the Solid Waste Helpline for additional information: 902-895-4777.
- Colchester Balefill and Composting Facility in Kemptown – Open to public Monday to Friday, 8 am to 2 pm. Compost only available in bulk at this time.
- Parks and Trails are now open however playgrounds remain closed.
- Fun in the Sun Day Camps have been cancelled for the month of July and will be re-evaluated for the month of August.
Town of New Glasgow
- All non-essential meetings of Council and Town Committees have been cancelled until further notice and temporary closures as well as restricting access to municipal facilities is being undertaken.
- The Town Hall will remain open, but we are encouraging citizens to make water and tax payments online through their financial institutions. Parking tickets can be paid online through Access Nova Scotia. Please call the Town Hall if you have questions at 902-755-7788.
- The Engineering Office will remain open, but we are encouraging citizens to make an appointment for development and building inspection services by contacting 902-755-8351.
- The New Glasgow Regional Police Department, Fire Department, Public Works Maintenance Facility, Water Utility operational buildings will be closed to the public, but all essential services will continue to be delivered. Police will continue to do criminal record checks through an online process and via phone.
- The following town owned facilities are temporarily CLOSED until further notice:
- Glasgow Square;
- Westside Community Centre;
- Northend Recreation Centre;
- Ward 1 Community Centre;
- MacLeod Boardroom in the NG Regional Police Station;
- John Brother MacDonald Boardroom in the Town Hall;
- 55+ Club located in the NG Fire Hall;
- New Glasgow Fire Hall;
- NSCAD Community Residency Studio and programs;
- New Glasgow Public Works Maintenance Facility, 624 East River Road;
- New Glasgow Water Utility operational buildings;
- New Glasgow Library; and
- New Glasgow Flea Market in the former Central Supplies location (PW Garage).
- The New Glasgow Farmers Market is working closely with the Nova Scotia Farmers Market Cooperative and we expect an update shortly.
Town of Stellarton
- The Community Centre located on Leo Fahey Way is closed
Village of Bible Hill
- Public access to the Village Office, at 67 Pictou Rd, will be restricted through June 30, 2020. Inquires can continue to be made by phone, email, and mail. Other than the pause on presenting in-person inquiries, our administrative and public works service level remains consistent.
- Public access to the Village Hall, at 69 Pictou Rd, will be restricted through June 30, 2020. Scheduled events and private bookings will be deferred. Customers with facility bookings are encouraged to contact the office to discuss options.
- Public and member access to Bible Hill Fire Station, at 69 Pictou Rd, is restricted to approved Brigade members responding to emergency calls. Access to third parties and regular members is limited and requires advanced approval.
- Recreational programming and public events will be deferred through August 31, 2020. The traditional Canada Day parade and celebration in Bible Hill, the Back to School Bash, as well as summer day camps, senior fitness, senior socials and other programming and will be deferred.
- Meetings of Village committees, other than those statutorily required to be held, will be deferred while under the Provincial state of emergency. Regular meeting schedules will resume thereafter, and committee business will be carried forward to the next scheduled meeting. This will have no impact on Finance and Audit Committee, Accessibility Advisory Committee or regular meetings of the Village Commission.
- Under the direction of the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing:
- Village meetings will not be held in-person, and instead will be held virtually by way of video call. Draft minutes of meetings will be posted to the Village website within 2
Rath Eastlink Community Centre
The first phase of reopening is July 6th. The services offered at this time will be the gym and group fitness programming. For the first phase reopening, operating hours will be as follows:
|Monday||6AM - 8PM|
|Tuesday||6AM - 8PM|
|Wednesday||6AM - 8PM|
|Thursday||6AM - 8PM|
Phase 2 – Stanfields Walking Track – TBD
Phase 3 – Koltech Climibing Wall – TBD
Phase 4 – Wilsons Aquatic Centre – TBD
Phase 5 – Community Credit Union Arena, Ice bookings and special events– TBD
Monday to Saturday 11:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm - 5:00pm
The Dollarama and The Medicine Shoppe will be operating regular hours.
Sports and Fitness
- Colchester Judo Club is cancelling all classes moving forward.
- All gym activity has been suspended Cobequid Spartans Gymnastic & Trampoline Centre
- The National Basketball League of Canada is suspending basketball operations until further notice as a result of concerns regarding COVID-19. This includes all games for the Halifax Hurricanes
- Basketball Nova Scotia has suspended all activities until further notice
- Soccer Nova Scotia has suspended all activities until further notice
- Volleyball Nova Scotia has suspended all activities until further notice
- Gymnastics Nova Scotia has suspended all activities until further notice, including GNS Provincial Championships
- Colchester Multisport Sport has been suspended until further notice
- Scotia pool is closed until further notice. Red Cross swimming lessons will be rescheduled for a later date and memberships will be suspended for the duration of the closure.
Public & Medical Facilities & Services
- The Nova Scotia Health Authority has closed the emergency departments at All Saint Springhill Hospital, the South Cumberland Community Care Centre (Parrsboro) and the Lillian Fraser Memorial Hospital (Tatamagouche) until further notice
- The emergency department at the North Cumberland Memorial Hospital (Pugwash) will be closed daily from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., but will be available overnight, until fuirther notice
- The Colchester Historeum is closed.
- All branches of the Colchester-East Hants Public Library will reopen their doors on Tuesday, July 14, resuming in-person library services, including in-person holds pick-up, browsing access to books and other physical collections, drop-in computer access and in-person staff assistance. The following public safety precautions will be in effect when branch libraries reopen:
- There will be a limit on the number of patrons allowed in the library at one time;
- A staff “navigator” will welcome patrons and provide guidance regarding the new protocols;
- Furniture has been removed and rearranged to allow for ample physical distancing;
- New signage, floor markings, and visual cues will be posted throughout the branches;
- Computer use will be limited to one hour per day per person. Computers are sanitized between each use;
- All returned library materials are quarantined for 72 hours;
- Library staff will provide support while maintaining the required physical distance;
- Plexiglass barriers have been installed at service points;
- The wearing of masks by patrons is encouraged but not required;
- Library staff have access to masks and gloves;
- High-touch surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected frequently.
- Colchester East Hants Hospice Society has postponed in person appointments and events at this time and will reassess the closure as the situation changes. They are still supporting families by phone and email as needed during this difficult time. 902-893-3265 or email@example.com
- Blood collection at the West Colchester Community Health Centre (Bass River) will be suspended until further notice
- Blood collection services at the Lloyd E Matheson Centre in Elmsdale are closed until further notice. For blood collection services, please go to the Colchester East Hants Health Centre in Truro (for an appointment call 902-893-5554 ext. 49999) or go the Cobequid Health Center in Lower Sackville (for an appointment call 902-473-2074 or 1-833-942-2298)
- This year's Cavendish Beach Music Festival, presented by Bell, has been cancelled
- July Truro Pride Festival has been cancelled.
- The Tatamagouche Oktoberfest activities have been cancelled
- National Museums of Canada
- All Nova Scotia Museum Sites and the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
- Symphony Nova Scotia has cancelled the remaining concerts for the 2019-2020 season
- Scouts Canada has cancelled all activities
- Girl Guides of Canada has cancelled all activities
- Children Miracle Network Trip
- All 4-H activities in Colchester County will be postponed until the end of the year
- Head Injury meetings held at Sobey's Community Room on Robie St will be cancelled until further notice
- The Lotus Centre is closed
- The Marigold Centre is closed until further notice.
- The Great Village Legion Branch 72 on the Lorneville Road closed until further notice for Bingo on Tuesday night
- All Truro Legion activities are postponed until further notice.
- Open Mic at the Lower Onslow Community Centre is cancelled until further notice.
- Bible Hill Bowlacade will be closed until further notice
- Thrown Together Pottery & Art shop is closed to the public, but is open by appointment and classes in small groups will continue
- Worship Services at McCulloch United Church, Harmony-Camden Pastoral Charge, are cancelled indefinitely
- Brookfield Elks Bowling League cancelled until further notice
- Weekly Thursday card parties at the Bible Hill Fire Hall are cancelled until further notice.
- Superline Fuels in the Truro Business Park has closed its office to the public. Customers are asked to please phone 902-893-7105 for assistance or questions/concerns
- TD Bank in Truro has reduced its operating branch hours Monday to Saturday from 11 am to 4 pm
- Bulk Barn is changing the way customers shop at the Truro store. Please submit orders ahead of time and they will have ready for pickup at your specified time.
- Hubtown Theatre's production of 'Wild Women of Winedale' has been rescheduled to run November 18-21, 2020. People who purchased tickets for the original dates will be able to use them on the rescheduled dates.
- New Glasgow's Festival of the Tartans Committee has cancelled the 63rd Festival of the Tartans