Canadian Red Cross aids pair after fire in Oxford senior's residence

(Submitted/Canadian Red Cross)

The Canadian Red Cross says its volunteers have arranged temporary lodging in a hotel for two adults displaced by a fire at the Meadow Vista senior's residence in Oxford.

A release says a fire in a shared lounge area sparked the evacuation of about three dozen residents of the complex Friday night.

Initially, the tenants were moved to the adjacent Oxford Medical Centre while plans were activated for the Canadian Red Cross to set up a temporary shelter at a recreation complex in nearby Springhill.

The Canadian Red Cross says that shelter turned out to be unnecessary, as by around 4:00 a.m. all but one couple had arranged to temporarily stay with relatives or friends in the area.

The couple that was unable to find accommodation themselves were assisted by Red Cross volunteers and are being temporarily housed in a hotel.

it is not yet known when cleanup and repairs of the minor fire and smoke damage will be completed to allow residents to return to the Meadow Vista complex.

The Canadian Red Cross says there were no injuries reported.