Joint federal-provincial inquiry into N.S. mass shooting a good option: top expert

news-update

The pressure is growing on the federal and Nova Scotia governments to call an inquiry into one of the worst mass killings in Canadian history.

Now, the country's leading scholar on inquiries says Ottawa and the province should do the right thing and work together on a joint inquest.

Ed Ratushny, a professor emeritus at the University of Ottawa's law school, says that would be the course to take.

Ratushny says it would make a lot of sense for the two governments to sit down together and work out terms of reference that are complementary ... and cover all the issues that have to be covered.

Since the April 18-19 rampage that killed 22 people, calls for a public inquiry have grown, from opposition politicians, from Dalhousie University law professors and from victims' relatives.

On Sunday, the family of one victim appealed to governments to call an inquiry.

So far, Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil has insisted Ottawa should take the lead and conduct a federal inquiry.

The premier has said the RCMP's handling of the case should be examined at the federal level because the RCMP is a national police force.

As well, he has said other federal entities deserve scrutiny, including the Canada Border Services Agency, given the fact that the killer had unlicensed firearms from the United States.

Federal Public Safety Minister Bill Blair has remained non-committal but says nothing is off the table, and all tools should be considered.