Truro to proclaim October as 'Reduce Single Use' month
The Town of Truro is set to proclaim October as "Reduce Single Use" month, encouraging businesses and citizens to reduce waste.
The municipality is partnering with the Downtown Truro Partnership, as well as Colchester Solid Waste Resource Management, Divert NS, and the Truro and Colchester Chamber of Commerce on this initiative.
Events include a workshop next Thursday on reducing single use items and a session on October 24th on preventing food waste.
There will also be paper bags available for the town's leaf collection to try and reduce the use of plastic bags, and the fall compost giveaway runs from October 21st to 26th.
The proclamation will take place on Monday during council's regular monthly meeting, with more details on upcoming events available on the Reduce Single Use October Facebook page.
Residents and businesses can participate in a number of ways.
- Take the Pledge Challenge – Residents and businesses are encouraged to take the pledge to help to reduce wasteful single use items. The challenge outlines the top 10 actions for how residents can Reduce Single Use waste. Residents can choose which actions they are willing to commit to and can highlight which actions they are already undertaking! To take the pledge, go to https://bit.ly/2lrDUeH. All entries will be entered to win one of two great prize packages which include reusable YETI cups, straws, bags, bottles, and more!
- Paper Bags for Town of Truro Leaf Collection – Colchester Solid Waste Resource Management and the Town of Truro are partnering on an initiative to promote the change to eliminate the use of plastic bags for the Town’s annual Leaf Collection Program. To encourage the change from plastic to paper, the Town of Truro is providing residents with a free sample of leaf collection, paper bags to launch the program. Bags are available while quantities last. If you wish to participate, or you have any questions about this initiative please call 902-893-6078.
- Reduce Single Use Workshop - October 10, 2019, 4pm to 6pm, Truro Farmers’ Market, 15 Young Street – Join Divert NS and Colchester Solid Waste Resource Management as they bring together businesses and environmental influencers in the community to share their successes in reducing waste. Keynote speaker, Kate Pepler, owner of The Tare Shop in Halifax, will be talking about leading the charge in building a zero-waste building and how she is leading Halifax in refusing to waste.
- Waste Reduction Week Kickoff – October 19th, 9am to 1pm, Truro Farmers’ Market. Come speak to representatives from Colchester Solid Waste Resource Management to kick-off Waste Reduction Week. Learn more about local initiatives taking place and actions you can take to help reduce waste.
- Fall Compost Giveaway - October 21st to 26th, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 3:30pm and Saturday, 8:30am to 11:30am, Colchester Compost Facility, Mingo Road, Kemptown. This event entitles each household to 3 bags or 100 kilograms of free compost. Bags will be provided but please bring your own shovel, gloves and appropriate footwear. Call the Colchester Waste Reduction Helpline at 902-895-4777 for more information and helpful composting tips.
- Preventing Food Waste – October 24th, 10am, Sobeys – Join Jennifer Ferguson, Registered Dietitian on a session to learn how to prevent food waste. Contact 902-895-7382 for more information.