Parks Canada issues date for Vautour family to vacate New Brunswick national park

Parks Canada

Parks Canada is renewing efforts to get the family of the late Jackie Vautour to end its fight to remain on property in New Brunswick's Kouchibouguac National Park.

Vautour staged a 50-year battle against the government's expropriation of the land before his death in February of last year, stating he was Metis-Acadian and the land is unceded Mi'kmaq territory.

Since his death, Vautour's wife and two sons have vowed to continue the fight and are seeking support from the courts.

Parks Canada wrote a letter to the family last week, saying their continued occupation of property within the park constitutes a nuisance.

It says unless all structures and materials are removed by March 31, Parks Canada will have them removed and the department will "undertake a cleaning of the site being occupied."

Vautour's son Edmond says the family has no intention to cede to the request of Parks Canada, which has sent eviction letters to the family since Vautour's death.

The federal government expropriated houses and other property on New Brunswick's east coast in the early 1970s to create Kouchibouguac National Park.

Lawyer Michael Swinwood of the non-profit organization Elders Without Borders has sent a letter to Parks Canada saying the family's so-called "nuisance" pales in comparison to the "acts of genocide and apartheid" perpetrated by government against Indigenous peoples.

Check out what we've been playing