Peel Regional Police reveal details of raid on Owen Sound home
We're now getting details about why there was such a heavy Peel Regional Police presence in west end Owen Sound about six weeks ago.
A notorious home on 29th Street West was the scene of about two dozen police officers from Peel Region earlier this summer but its taken this long to reveal why.
Nine people have been charged in connection with the kidnapping of a Toronto woman in late August.
One of them is 46 year old Darren McCann of Owen Sound who's charged with kidnapping.
31 year old Jessica Proctor of Meaford has been charged with kidnapping and forcible confinement.
Police allege the victim was kidnapped from a Mississauga nightclub, then held for 48 hours.
In that time she was taken to several locations in Owen Sound before being released again in the GTA with no physical injuries.
After searching a number of homes and vehicles in Owen Sound and Toronto, police seized $240,000 worth of drugs.
Also part of this ring was 35 year old Aaron Marshall.
You may remember that name after a story we did in late September where he was wanted on a Canada wide warrant.
He was picked up in Walkerton in September.
Peel Regional Police received assistance from a number of police services including Owen Sound, Hanover and West Grey.
The official release can be found below ~
Region of Peel - Investigators from the 12 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau have arrested and charged several people in relation to a kidnapping investigation.
On Thursday, August 24, 2023, at approximately 8:45 p.m., it is alleged that the victim, a woman from Toronto, attended a nightclub in the area of Britannia Road East and Dixie Road in Mississauga when she was kidnapped and forced into a stolen vehicle and held for 48 hours. The victim was taken to several locations in Owen Sound before being released in the Toronto area. She did not suffer any physical injuries.
Investigators identified and charged the following individuals:
- Mohammed Habibnia, a 28-year-old man from Newmarket, is charged with Kidnapping, Possession of Property Obtained by Crime (X2)
- Mohamed Khairy, a 20-year-old man from Mississauga, is charged with Kidnapping.
- Daniel Gonthcharov, a 22-year-old man from Concord, is charged with Kidnapping, Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose and Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking.
- Mohamad Halimi, a 22-year-old man from Mississauga, is charged with Kidnapping, Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition Knowing it’s Possession is Unauthorized (X2) and Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking.
- Aaron Marshall, a 35-year-old man with no fixed address, is charged with Kidnapping and Forcible Confinement. At the time of the offence, Aaron Marshall was a federal parolee who was wanted for being unlawfully at large.
- Jessica Proctor, a 31-year-old woman from Meaford, is charged with Kidnapping and Forcible Confinement.
- Tayshawn Atkins, a 19-year-old man from Oakville, is charged with Kidnapping.
- Darren McCann, a 46-year-old man from Owen Sound, is charged with Kidnapping.
They were all held for bail hearings and attended the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton.
- Mohammed Salih, a 26-year-old man from Mississauga, is charged with Accessory After the Fact to Commit an Indictable Offence.
He was released to attend the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton at a later date.
A Canada-wide warrant has been issued for Karim Khairy, a 22-year-old man from Mississauga for Kidnapping in connection with this investigation.
To view a photo of the wanted party, Karim Khairy, please visit our website.
Search warrants were executed at several residences and vehicles in Owen Sound and throughout the Greater Toronto Area. Nearly $240,000 worth of drugs and two extended handgun magazines with ammunition were seized.
Peel Regional Police would like to thank members from the following police services for their assistance in this investigation:
- The Ontario Provincial Police
- York Regional Police
- Halton Regional Police
- Owen Sound Police
- Hanover Police
- West Grey Police
Anyone with information can contact the 12 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau at 905-453-2121, extension 1233. Information may be left anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visiting www.peelcrimestoppers.ca.