What Happened May 23rd In Pop Music History
It’s May 23rd and these are some of the things that happened on this day in pop music history:
- In 2006, Jordin Sparks won Season 6 of American Idol.
- In 1974, Jewel Kilcher was born in Payson, Utah. Her family moved to Anchorage, Alaska, where she took an early interest in music. As Jewel, she released her debut album in 1995 and had success with “Who Will Save Your Soul” and “Foolish Games.”
- In 2010, Poison singer Bret Michaels won Season 9 of The Celebrity Apprentice.
- In 1970, Paul McCartney’s debut solo album McCartney began a three-week run at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 200. It was bumped from the top spot by The Beatles Let It Be.
- In 2000, Eminem released The Marshall Mathers LP, his third studio album. It featured the hit “Stan” ft. Dido.
- In 1970, “American Woman” by Canada’s The Guess Who was No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for the third and last week.
And that’s what popped on this day.