Langford City Hall evacuated due to high carbon monoxide levels

Langford City Hall

Langford City Hall was evacuated this morning for several hours after a report of an unusual small in the building.

Assistant Fire Prevention Chief Lance Caven (cave-in) says crews figured out pretty quickly what it was:

" We went and checked and we were getting some high carbon monoxide readings, or CO readings in the building, so we decided to evacuate all the staff from City Hall:

It turned out to be a furnace that wasn't operating correctly, and pushing carbon monoxide into the building.

" And we called Fortis to assist us and we ended up sourcing out that it was the furnace for the building that wasn't operating correctly, and it was pushing CO into the ventilation system which is why we were  getting the high reading."

Caven say because carbon monoxide is odourless, tasteless, and you can't see it, it's known as "the silent killer."

He recommends anyone with a gas-fired appliance or a wood stove to ensure they have a detector and that it is working.

Should B.C. students be required to wear masks while in the classroom?
 

 

 

 

 

Contact Us

If you have a news tip, story idea or to reach a radio host, contact us here.