Action plan on seniors: City of Montreal adds public consultation in Côte-des-Neiges/NDG
After a public outcry and criticism last week, the city of Montreal has added a public consultation in Côte-des-Neiges/NDG as part of its action plan to make the city more senior-friendly, CJAD 800 News has learned.
Last week, the city was criticized over its consultation process some said would exclude many people including anglos and immigrants.
Critics had denounced the fact that the website and documentation were only in French; that the four original locations were in places where not many anglos or immigrants live and where public transit was not senior-friendly; and that the meetings are being held in the dead of winter.
One out of four ain't bad but Lionel Perez, leader of the official opposition Ensemble Montreal said the city could do better.
"It's a recognition by the administration that the process was faulty and has to be improved. They're only taking half measures to show that they're improving the process but in reality they're not," said Perez in an interview with CJAD 800 News.
The city had said it wanted to adopt the action plan in May.
Perez had tabled a motion at Monday's borough council meeting calling on the city to extend the consultation process into spring and ensure access in both French and English but it was voted down.
Christopher Curtis of the Montreal Gazette
IN TRANSIT - Are you a restaurant owner tired of the profiting-eating delivery apps? One company has a solution!Martin Cuddy of the ChasseurS Courrier Co-op
Two-Minute Checkup with Dr Mitch Shulman