Advance voting open Oct 11 - 14

Federal voting

If you've already decided who you want to vote for in the 2019 federal election you can have your voice heard by using the advance voting that starts today. Last year 3,677,2017 Canadians took advantage of advanced voting.


You can vote at your assigned polling station. To find your advance polling station (it may not be the same one you were assigned for election day) check your voter information card, use Elections Canada's online Voter Information Service or call 1-800-463-6868 or 1-800-361-8935 (TTY).


Friday, October 11
Saturday, October 12
Sunday, October 13
Monday, October 14
Anytime between 9:00 A.M. and 9:00 P.M.
You can also cast your ballot at any Elections Canada office before Tuesday, October 15 (open until 6:00 P.M.)

What do I need?

To vote in the federal election you have to prove your identity and address. There are three ways to do this:

Option 1: Show one of these pieces of ID
- your driver's licence
- any other card issued by a Canadian government (federal, provincial/territorial or local) with your photo, name and current address

Option 2: Show two pieces of ID with your name (at least one must have your address)
- voter ID card and a bank statement
- utility bill and student ID

*Full list of accetable ID is listed below*

Option 3: No ID? No problem

-declare your identity and address in writing and have someone (assigned to the same polling station) vouch for you. Your voucher must prove their identity and address.

Do I absolutely need to bring my voter ID card?

No. But you probably should, it says so right on the card itself.

I didn't get a voter ID card/How do I know if I'm registered?

Visit the Elections Canada Voter Registration service website.

How do I register to vote?

You can do this a couple of ways:

Registering before you go to vote by using the Online Voter Registration Service before Tuesday, October 15, 6:00 P.M.

In person at any Elections Canada office across Canada before Tuesday, October 15, 6:00 P.M.

Register when you go to vote

  • At your assigned polling station on election day, October 21.
  • At your assigned polling station on advance polling days, October 11, 12, 13 or 14.
  • At any Elections Canada office across Canada before Tuesday, October 15, 6:00 P.M.

List of accepted ID to prove your identity and address under Option 2

From a government or government agency

  • band membership card
  • birth certificate
  • Canadian citizenship card or certificate
  • Canadian Forces identity card
  • Canadian passport
  • card issued by an Inuit local authority
  • firearms licence
  • government cheque or cheque stub
  • government statement of benefits
  • health card
  • income tax assessment
  • Indian status card or temporary confirmation of registration
  • library card
  • licence or card issued for fishing, trapping or hunting
  • liquor identity card
  • Métis card
  • old age security card
  • parolee card
  • property tax assessment or evaluation
  • public transportation card
  • social insurance number card
  • vehicle ownership
  • Veterans Affairs health care identification card

From Elections Canada

  • targeted revision form to residents of long-term care institutions
  • voter information card
  • From an educational institution
  • correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • student identity card
  • From a health care facility or organization
  • blood donor card
  • CNIB card
  • hospital card
  • label on a prescription container
  • identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long-term care institution
  • medical clinic card

From a financial institution

  • bank statement
  • credit card
  • credit card statement
  • credit union statement
  • debit card
  • insurance certificate, policy or statement
  • mortgage contract or statement
  • pension plan statement
  • personal cheque

From a private organization

  • employee card
  • residential lease or sub-lease
  • utility bill (e.g.: electricity; water; telecommunications services including telephone, cable or satellite)
  • Letters of confirmation
  • letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • letter of confirmation of residence from a First Nations band or reserve or an Inuit local authority
  • letter of confirmation of residence, letter of stay, admission form, or statement of benefits from one of the following designated establishments:
  • student residence
  • seniors' residence
  • long-term care institution
  • shelter
  • soup kitchen
  • a community-based residential facility