COVID-19 outbreak declared at St. Joseph’s Villa in Sudbury
Public Health Sudbury & Districts has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at St. Joseph’s Villa in Greater Sudbury affecting the Hillcrest Wing of the facility.
"Public Health is actively working with the long-term care home to investigate the outbreak and ensure patients, residents, and staff are protected," the health unit said in a news release Monday evening.
The outbreak is contained, the release said, and there is no evidence of ongoing transmission. The health unit will directly contact anyone identified as a close contact and provide further direction."
“The need for everyone to monitor and screen for COVID-19 symptoms daily and to stay home when ill is critical in limiting the spread of the virus," Christina Baier, manager of the health unit's health protection division, said in the release. "If you have any COVID-19 symptoms, please take it seriously, and get tested.”
Prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Stay home: remain at home except for essential purposes such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care service, for exercise, or for essential work or school.
- All non-essential travel should be avoided. Area residents are being exposed to the virus through travel outside our region. Stay in the area of your home community or stay in the region.
- Get tested for COVID-19 if you have any symptoms.
- The vaccine is highly recommended for all eligible individuals.
- Learn more about vaccine safety and make an informed decision to choose to get vaccinated when the time comes.
- Practise physical distancing, because any close contact could be a possible exposure to COVID-19.
- Continue to work remotely, where possible.
- Masks or face coverings must be worn in all indoor public places in Sudbury and districts.
- Masks or face coverings should also be worn in other settings where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Wash your hands often and when visibly dirty for 15 seconds.
For more information or if you have questions, visit phsd.ca/COVID-19 or call the health unit at 705-522-9200, toll-free 1-866-522-9200).