Elgin-Oxford reports 20 COVID-19 cases, eight in Middlesex-London
The Middlesex-London Health Unit is reporting eight new COVID-19 cases Tuesday, after just a single case on Monday, even as a spike to the south continues and a new death was reported to the north.
The new cases keep the London region in single-digit daily counts, and bring the ongoing total in the region to 1,154, including 1,045 resolved and 61 deaths, leaving 48 active cases.
While the health unit says the numbers are moving in the right direction, anyone with symptoms is urged to get tested quickly, so that further spread can be prevented.
There were no new deaths reported Tuesday, but a death reported on Monday marked the fourth since the second wave began in recent weeks.
The number of outbreaks in seniors’ facilities in the region has dropped to three, at Strathmere Lodge, Henley Place LTC Residence and Chartwell Royalcliffe Retirement.
Meanwhile a new school case was reported Tuesday at Wilton Grove Public School in London's south end. The Thames Valley District School Board says all staff, parents and guardians have been notified and the school will remain open with buses running.The health unit is reaching out to close contacts.
In Elgin and Oxford counties, 20 new cases were reported Tuesday, marking a second day of spiking numbers and bringing the totals in the region to 357 cases, with 307 resolved and five deaths leaving 45 active.
Some if not all of the cases are likely associated with an outbreak among agricultural workers at an apple farm in Bayham, where 40 people have tested positive and three more results from the 157 tests are still pending.
Here is where the cases stand in other area regions based on the most recent publicly available data:
- Haldimand-Norfolk – one new, 26 active, 547 total, 484 resolved, 32 deaths
- Sarnia-Lambton – one new, four active, 373 total, 344 resolved, 25 deaths
- Grey-Bruce – none new, six active, 178 total, 172 resolved, no deaths
- Huron-Perth – one new, 10 active, 155 total, 139 resolved, six deaths
Huron-Perth reported one new death Tuesday, the first in that region in months, associated with an outbreak at a Stratford seniors' facility.
Huron Perth Public Health (HPPH) says the person was a resident at Cedarcroft Retirement Home who had underlying health conditions and became ill last week before testing positive for COVID-19.
To date, all but one of the deaths in that region have been residents of long-term care or retirement homes. Four previous deaths were residents at Greenwood Court Long-Term Care Home, also in Stratford. The fifth was through community spread in St. Marys.
HPPH Medical Officer of Health Dr. Miriam Klassen expressed the health unit's condolences and added in a statement, “We know how serious this infection can be for our vulnerable populations, including our seniors in retirement and long-term care homes and in those with underlying health conditions...HPPH continues to work closely alongside all retirement homes and long-term care facilities to protect residents and staff.”
Across Ontario health officials reported another record high number of new infections, with 1,050 new infections and 14 deaths.