Health officials in Ontario are reporting another record-breaking number of new COVID-19 cases.
The 1,050 new infections logged are the highest since Oct. 25 when 1,042 cases were added.
Another 14 deaths were recorded in the last 24 hours as a result of the disease, pushing Ontario's COVID-19 death toll to 3,166.
With 25,279 tests completed in the previous day, roughly half of the province's testing capacity, Ontario's positivity rate now stands at 4.2 per cent.
Tuesday's report brings the province's total number of lab-confirmed cases to 78,705, including deaths and 67,244 cases now considered to be resolved by the Ministry of Health.
Right now, there are 8,295 active cases of COVID-19 in Ontario.
The news comes as Premier Doug Ford announced major changes to how the province will impose COVID-19 shutdowns, introducing a new tiered system for when to impose lockdowns and closures.
Last week, provincial health officials released modelling data highlighting three different scenarios for Ontario’s second wave of COVID-19.
Although the data suggested that the province may have avoided the worst-case scenario, officials say they expect to see at least 800 new COVID-19 cases a day for most of the month of November.
According to the Ministry of Health's daily epidemiologic summary, 360 of the new cases were reported in people between the ages of 20 and 39. That age group leads the province in lab-confirmed COVID-19 infections at 28,484 cases.
Another 317 cases were reported in people between the ages of 40 and 59.
At least 171 cases were reported in people 19 years of age and younger and 153 cases were reported in people between the ages of 60 and 79.
Fifty new cases were reported in people 80 years of age and older.
Where are the new COVID-19 cases?
Most of the new cases were recorded in Toronto and Peel Region, two of the province’s four COVID-19 hot spots currently observing a modified set of Stage 2 restrictions.
Toronto logged 408 cases while Peel recorded 212. York Region reported 76 new infections and Ottawa logged 34, down significantly from the 64 logged a day earlier.
There were 86 new cases added in Halton, a region that the Ontario government said last week they would not move into the modified version of Stage 2. Premier Ford told reporters at the time that a lack of support among local politicians makes it a “unique situation.”
Meanwhile, there were 34 more cases in the City of Hamilton and 31 in Niagara Region, neither of which is observing the modified restrictions.
Several other regions reported fewer than five new cases and 13 public health units recorded zero new cases.
There are currently 357 patients in an Ontario hospital with COVID-19. Seventy-three patients are being treated in the intensive care unit and 47 are on a ventilator.