Ontario reports highest COVID-19 case count in three months, 39 cases in Ottawa
Ottawa Public Health reported 39 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, the same day Ontario saw the highest number of new COVID-19 cases in nearly three months.
No new deaths were linked to COVID-19 in Ottawa.
Since the first case of COVID-19 in Ottawa in March 2020, there have been 28,412 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 593 deaths.
The 39 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Thursday follows 20 new cases on Wednesday and 14 cases on Tuesday.
Public Health Ontario reported 865 new cases across Ontario, the highest one-day case count since June 4, when 914 cases were reported.
Health officials reported 175 new cases in Toronto, 104 in Peel Region and 91 in York Region.
Of the 865 new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario on Thursday, 692 cases are in individuals who are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown vaccination status.
A total of 173 cases are in fully vaccinated individuals.
Of the 162 people in Ontario's ICUs with COVID-19, 148 are not fully vaccinated.
OTTAWA'S KEY COVID-19 STATISTICS
Ottawa is now in Step 3 of Ontario's Roadmap to Reopen plan.
Ottawa Public Health data:
- COVID-19 cases per 100,000 (Aug. 25 to Aug. 31): 19.4 (down from 19.6)
- Positivity rate in Ottawa (Aug. 25 to Aug. 31): 1.9 per cent (unchanged from Aug. 23-39)
- Reproduction number (seven day average): 1.04
Reproduction values greater than 1 indicate the virus is spreading and each case infects more than one contact. If it is less than 1, it means spread is slowing.
COVID-19 VACCINES IN OTTAWA
Ottawa Public Health updates vaccine numbers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
As of Wednesday:
- Ottawa residents with 1 dose (12+): 791,007 (+1,860)
- Ottawa residents with 2 doses (12+): 731,198 (+2,914)
- Share of population 12 and older with at least one dose: 86 per cent
- Share of population 12 and older fully vaccinated: 79 per cent
- Total doses received in Ottawa: 1,402,040
*Total doses received does not include doses shipped to pharmacies and primary care clinics, but statistics on Ottawa residents with one or two doses includes anyone with an Ottawa postal code who was vaccinated anywhere in Ontario.
ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 IN OTTAWA
There are 237 active cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Thursday, up from 225 active cases on Wednesday.
Ottawa Public Health reported 27 newly resolved cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa on Thursday. The number of resolved cases of coronavirus in Ottawa is 27,582.
The number of active cases is the number of total laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 minus the numbers of resolved cases and deaths. A case is considered resolved 14 days after known symptom onset or positive test result.COVID-19 Cases in Ottawa
HOSPITALIZATIONS IN OTTAWA
There are eight people in Ottawa area hospitals with COVID-19 related illnesses on Thursday, down from ten on Wednesday.
One person is in the intensive care unit.
COVID-19 CASES IN OTTAWA BY AGE CATEGORY
- 0-9 years old: Seven new cases (2,379 total cases)
- 10-19 years-old: Eight new cases (3,679 total cases)
- 20-29 years-old: Nine new cases (6,419 total cases)
- 30-39 years-old: Four new cases (4,351 total cases)
- 40-49 years-old: Three new cases (3,738 total cases)
- 50-59 years-old: Three new case (3,378 total cases)
- 60-69-years-old: Three new case (1,984 total cases)
- 70-79 years-old: One new case (1,102 total cases)
- 80-89 years-old: Zero new cases (858 total cases)
- 90+ years old: Zero new cases (521 total cases)
- Unknown: Zero new cases (3 cases total)
VARIANTS OF CONCERN
Ottawa Public Health data:
- Total Alpha (B.1.1.7) cases: 6,844
- Total Beta (B.1.351) cases: 513
- Total Gamma (P.1) cases: 55
- Total Delta (B.1.617.2) cases: 337
- Percent of new cases with variant/mutation in last 30 days: 21 per cent
- Total variants of concern/mutation cases: 9,452
- Deaths linked to variants/mutations: 101
*OPH notes that that VOC and mutation trends must be treated with caution due to the varying time required to complete VOC testing and/or genomic analysis following the initial positive test for SARS-CoV-2. Test results may be completed in batches and data corrections or updates can result in changes to case counts that may differ from past reports.
COVID-19 TESTING IN OTTAWA
The Ottawa COVID-19 Testing Taskforce reports 1,241 swabs were processed at assessment centres in Ottawa on Aug. 31.
There were 2,107 lab tests performed in Ottawa on Tuesday.
The average turnaround from the time the swab is taken at a testing site to the result is 23 hours.
CASES OF COVID-19 AROUND THE REGION
- Eastern Ontario Health Unit: 24 new cases
- Hastings Prince Edward Public Health: Six new cases
- Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health: Three new cases
- Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit: One new case
- Renfrew County and District Health Unit: Zero new cases