CALGARY – Representatives of the UCP government gathered in northeast Calgary Friday to announce the province's plans for 25 new school projects, including the construction of 15 new schools.
Education Minister Adriana LaGrange announced the list of 25 school projects that will be supported under the provincial government's Budget 2019 Capital Plan. The funding commitment for the 25 projects is $397 million.
New high schools will be constructed in Calgary, Edmonton, Leduc, Blackfalds and Langdon.
“On behalf of Premier Kenney and my government colleagues, I am honoured to be here at Nose Creek School to announce the funding for full construction of a new high school for north Calgary,” said LaGrange.
Friday’s announcement was made in a community desperately needing a high school.
"It’s about time, it’s over time, the thing is it’s going to be full the day it opens, so it’s past due actually," said Ian Mcanerin, a parent in the neighbourhood.
Mcanerin says when he moved into the area 21 years ago, there was talk then of a new high school, but it continually got put on the back burner by provincial officials. Now, he’s happy for parents of young children in the community and surrounding areas who won’t have to face the same bussing issues he and his children did.
Kasia Gajewska’s son Marek is in Grade 9 and likely won’t benefit from the new school. But Gajewska was an advocate for a new high school and worked hard for years to make this a reality.
Her advice to others in need is simple.
"Stick to it; you know your need, you know your neighbourhood [and] your community. Be persistent, go for it, it can sometimes take up to 15 years. I hope it doesn’t, but stick to it."
The province expects construction on the new high school in Coventry Hills to be finished within two years, three at the most.
The complete list of new schools includes:
- Calgary - New K-4 Calgary Board of Education elementary school in Auburn Bay
- Calgary - New 5-9 Calgary Board of Education middle school in Auburn Bay
- Calgary - New Calgary Board of Education high school in north Calgary
- Cochrane - New K-9 Calgary Catholic School District elementary/junior high school
- Langdon - New 7-12 Rocky View Schools junior/senior high school
- Red Deer - New 6-9 Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools middle school
- Blackfalds - New Wolf Creek Public Schools high school
- Edmonton - New 10-12 Edmonton Public Schools high school in southeast Edmonton
- Edmonton - New K-9 Edmonton Public Schools elementary/junior high in Windermere/Keswick
- Edmonton - New 10-12 Edmonton Catholic Schools high school in Heritage Valley Town Centre
- Edmonton - New K-9 Edmonton Catholic Schools elementary/junior high in Windermere/Keswick
- Beaumont - New K-12 Conseil Scolaire Centre Nord school
- Leduc - New 10-12 Black Gold School Division high school
- Legal - New K-9 Conseil Scolaire Centre Nord elementary/junior high
- Whitecourt - New K-3 Living Waters Catholic Schools elementary school