'The end is almost near' says Windsor-Essex medical officer of health
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is reporting 49 new cases of COVID-19 and no new deaths on Friday.
The death toll related to COVID-19 is at 414 people.
Windsor-Essex has had a total of 15,434 confirmed cases of the virus, including 14,586 people who have recovered.
Medical officer of health Dr. Wajid Ahmed gave his weekly epidemiological summary on Friday, noting a slight downward trend.
The weekly case rate is 91.6 cases / 100,000 population and for the last seven days, it's 82.9 / 100,000 population. The per cent positivity is 6.5 per cent for the full week and the R0 (effective) is 0.94.
BREAKDOWN OF NEW CASES:
- 8 cases are community acquired
- 21 cases are close contacts of confirmed cases
- 16 cases are outbreak related
- 20 cases are still under investigation.
There are 17 Windsor-Essex residents with confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the hospital and three people are in the ICU.
Hospitalizations and ICU admissions are increaseing in Windsor-Essex. Dr. Wajid Ahmed, Medical Officer of Health, attributes that to the transfer of patients from other regions to Windsor.
OUTBREAKS IN THE REGION:
- 12 workplaces are in COVID-19 outbreak
- 2 community outbreak
- 1 long-term care or retirement home is in COVID-19 outbreak
- 1 school is in outbreak.
WINDSOR-ESSEX COUNTY RESIDENT VACCINATED:
- 151,398 WEC residents have received at least one dose of a vaccine
- 137,567 WEC residents have received only 1 dose of a vaccine
- 13,831 WEC residents have received both doses of a vaccine
- A total of 165,229 doses have been administered to WEC residents.
The health unit is planning two pop-up clinics for residents age 18 and older in the N9A and N9C postal code areas on Monday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. It will be walk-up only. WECHU expects to have about 1,000 doses at both sites.
“The end is almost near,” says Ahmed. “I truly want people to adhere to the public health measures so we can continue to get rid of this pandemic and move on with the rest of our activities that we like to do.”