A Saturday morning house fire in Winnipeg’s Fort Richmond area is being attributed to a wood-burning fireplace.
According to the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service, firefighters were called to a home on Colindale Cove at 8:11 a.m.
WFPS said when crews arrived on the scene, they saw smoke coming from the two-storey home.
Firefighters launched an offensive attack, declaring the fire under control at 8:51 a.m.
No injuries were reported and no damage estimates are available.
The WFPS believes the fire originated in a wood-burning chimney.
The fire service is reminding homeowners to have wood-burning fireplaces, woodstoves, and chimneys cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
It said fires can occur when stray sparks or high temperatures ignite creosote build-up in a chimney.