David Desrosiers Steps Away From Simple Plan

    MONTERREY, MEXICO - OCTOBER 03:  David Desrosiers of Simple Plan performs on stage during the MTV World Stage Monterrey Mexico 2013 at Arena Monterrey on October 3, 2013 in Monterrey, Mexico.  (Photo by Victor Chavez/Getty Images)
    MONTERREY, MEXICO - OCTOBER 03: David Desrosiers of Simple Plan performs on stage during the MTV World Stage Monterrey Mexico 2013 at Arena Monterrey on October 3, 2013 in Monterrey, Mexico. (Photo by Victor Chavez/Getty Images)

    Simple Plan bassist David Desrosiers has announced he is leaving the band due to allegations against him from several women.

    “Recent public statements have led me to acknowledge that some of the interactions I have had with women have caused them harm,” he wrote in a message on Instagram. “I have decided to withdraw from the band and seek professional help to educate myself and act appropriately in the future.

    “I am truly sorry for the harm I have caused to these women.”

    Only days before his announcement, an unidentified woman accused Desrosiers of making inappropriate jokes with her when she was a minor and then pursuing a sexual relationship as soon as she was legal age. (The age of consent in Canada is 16.) She said Desrosiers invited his friends to have group sex with them and repeatedly threatened her if she did not participate.

    In a Reddit thread, another female claims she had “a sexual experience” with Desrosiers “when i was VERY young.”

    It is not clear if Desrosiers, 39, is stepping away permanently. He has previously taken breaks from Simple Plan, reportedly due to mental health issues. In 2019, he returned to the band after a two-year hiatus to work on his mental health. In a 2017 statement, Desrosiers explained: “The time has come to explain why there are times when I cannot be with my bandmates playing shows for you. At the moment, I am fighting a major depression that prevents me from enjoying life and doing the things I love such as playing music."

    In a 2016 interview with iHeartRadio.ca, drummer Chuck Comeau spoke about the key to the band's longevity. "It’s all the same band members," he said. "We’ve never had any line-up changes, we’ve never had anyone leaving the band or being fired, so I think that makes a big difference for us and for the fans.”

    In a statement of its own on Friday, Simple Plan said: "Following recent public statements, David Desrosiers is withdrawing from the band in order to work on his personal issues. We offer our deepest apologies to the women who were hurt by his actions. We are also sorry for all our fans who are disappointed by this regretful situation. We will, as a band, take time to pause, reflect and put in place guidelines to prevent similar situations from happening."

    Desrosiers has not been charged with any criminal offence.

    In 2018, Jacob Hoggard of Canadian band Hedley faced allegations of inappropriate behaviour with young female fans. He was later charged with sexual assault causing bodily harm and sexual interference after two women came forward with allegations. His trial is scheduled to begin in January. 

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

    Des déclarations publiques récentes m’ont fait reconnaître que certaines interactions que j’ai eues avec des femmes leur ont causé du tort. J’ai donc pris la décision de me retirer du groupe et d’aller chercher de l’aide professionnelle afin de m’éduquer et d’agir de façon appropriée à l’avenir. Je suis vraiment désolé pour le tort que j'ai causé à ces femmes. Recent public statements have led me to acknowledge that some of the interactions I have had with women have caused them harm. I have decided to withdraw from the band and seek professional help to educate myself and act appropriately in the future. I am truly sorry for the harm I have caused to these women.

    A post shared by David Desrosiers (@daviddesrosiers) on Jul 9, 2020 at 8:10pm PDT