10 Tips for Celebrating Halloween at Home in 2020
The chill is in the air. The leaves are changing colours and pumpkins are popping up on doorsteps all over Canada. It's everyone's favourite SPOOKY time of year - Halloween!
It goes without saying that things are going to look a little different this year with the limits on gathering numbers and despite recommendations for safe trick-or-treating, not everyone is comfortable going door to door right now.
The good news is none of this means that Halloween is cancelled - far from it!
Here are a few suggestions for safely keeping the spooky Halloween spirit alive this season:
1. CARVE OR DECORATE A PUMPKIN - Just because the entire neighbourhood isn't stopping by October 31st to enjoy your handiwork, doesn't mean you can't still have fun creating something scary (or cute). Get the kids and/or other people in your household/bubble involved and don't forget to roast the pumpkin seeds afterwards! Check out this Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Seeds recipe and this Garlic Parmesean Pumpkin Seeds recipes from delish.
2. DECORATE YOUR HOUSE / APARTMENT / LIVING SPACE - show off your spookiest skills by decorating your house for Halloween. If you're keeping things low-key and you don't want to go all out or give the impression that you're giving out candy, try decorating an indoor space. For some inspiration, check out this list of the 50 Best Indoor Halloween Deocration Ideas from homebnc.com.
4. HALLOWEEN THEMED ARTS & CRAFTS - If you're more of a hands on creative, you might want to scare up some supplies and try your hand at some Halloween themed DIY! If you can't find anything on Pinterest, Check out this list of Halloween Arts and Crafts to do with the kids (felt mummy pumpkins? yes please!) and a more grown up list of Halloween Arts and Crafts for adults to get the inspiration flowing.
5. WATCH A SPOOKY MOVIE - Whether you're looking to jump out of your skin with a creepy horror flick or in the mood for something more family friendly, there's something for everyone and no shortage of Halloween movies to choose from. Here's a list of IMDB's Top Halloween movies if you're need a little help choosing!
6. HOST A VIRTUAL HALLOWEEN PARTY - Get dressed up, log into your favourite video chat software (Zoom, Skype, Google Hangouts etc) and spend some time catching up with friends and family! Just because you're at home doesn't mean you can't paint your face, put on a mask or spend some time in your favourite princess costume.
7. MAKE A HALLOWEEN DESSERT - Halloween isn't *just* about the candy! This is the perfect time to bake some hauntingly decorated cookies or a batch of bloody red velvet cupcakes. Check out this list of 25 sweet treats (minus the tricks) from town and country magazine.
9. LEARN A HALLOWEEN DANCE - Brush up on your Thriller routine, or finally learn the steps to the Monster Mash - bonus points if you put the finished dance up on social media.
10. PUT ON A HALLOWEEN PLAYLIST - Last but DEFINITELY not least, don't forget to give your day a spooky playlist by tuning in to 105.7 EZ Rock on Halloween day from 6pm - 7pm for a special Halloween Music Special! Tune in to 105.7 EZ Rock FREE on your radio, on our website, or in the iHeartRadio app on your mobile device!
Whatever you decide to do with your family / bubble, we hope you have a safe and happy Halloween! And, if you have a suggestion you want to see added to the list. Send it to us below and we'll be sure to share it!
---------- OTHER IDEAS -----------
Put on a Halloween Fashion Show
Paint your kids' faces (or your own)
Play a halloween game (or a game that you give a halloween spin to)