Penticton launches Online Crime Reporting
Today, the Penticton RCMP launched its new online crime reporting tool. Several Detachments in BC who’ve already enabled this tool have seen tremendous success.
The website will allow the public to report non-emergency crimes online. The idea is that front-line officers will be free to respond to serious emergencies and provide more time for pro-active policing initiatives.
Any City of Penticton resident with a valid E-mail address will be able to use the tool, using a computer, smart phone or tablet.
To report a crime online it will have to meet the following criteria:
• Your report does NOT require a follow up by a police officer; and
• You have no witness nor suspect;
• You have lost something that costs less than $5,000; and/or
• Someone has stolen something from you that costs less than $5,000; and/or
• Someone has vandalized your property or car and it will cost less than $5,000 to repair it; and
• There are no items involving personal identity, firearms, license plates or license plate validation decals
The direct link to report: bc.rcmp.ca/penticton/report
“Every online report received will be reviewed by a supervisor, and should follow-up be required, an officer may still be engaged. These stats will continue to help with how we deploy our resources. However, this modern reporting method will increase our officer’s ability to investigate serious offences and continue efforts to reduce crime in our community”, explains Cst. James Grandy.