All Native Basketball Tournament to begin after media access concerns resolved
The 61st annual All Native Basketball Tournament tips off Sunday at Prince Rupert's Jim Ciccone Civic Centre -- with the opening ceremonies set to begin at 8pm -- but there were concerns that most media were going to be barred from covering the week-long event.
The tournament committee had planned to allow access only to CFNR, which had once again purchased the rights to broadcast the games -- and said it would deny media access to all other reporters, including CFTK-TV and our sister radio stations.
Tournament chair Peter Haugan said that last year, there was too much media attention paid to non-sports stories, such as pipeline protests and last year's dispute over the eligibility of a Heiltsuk player.
But after complaints from several media outlets, including CFTK, the committee posted on its Facebook page that all Sports reporters would be welcome to attend.