Cold Weather Alert in Hamilton
HAMILTON, ON – The Medical Officer of Health for the City of Hamilton is issuing a Cold Weather Alert effective tonight. A Cold Weather Alert is issued when current or anticipated weather conditions are at or below minus 15 degrees Celsius or minus 20 with wind chill.
This alert will remain in effect until a cancellation notice is issued.
Exposure to cold weather can be harmful to your health. Wind always makes it feel colder, and increases the risk of frostbite and hypothermia. During extreme cold weather conditions, please call, visit, or check on vulnerable family, friends, and neighbours.
The City of Hamilton has notified community agencies who work with people that are vulnerable and experiencing homelessness. Each of those agencies will implement their policies and procedures with regards to cold weather. During a Cold Alert select City of Hamilton Recreation Centres will be available as community warming centres for those who need to keep warm.
Bennetto Recreation Centre (450 Hughson St. N, Hamilton, ON) will be available as a warming centre for the duration of a Cold Alert, from time of activation to time of cancellation.
In addition, the following City of Hamilton Recreation Centres will be available as warming centres from 12 noon to 7 pm during a Cold Alert:
- Dominic Agostino Riverdale Community Centre, 150 Violet Dr, Hamilton
- Huntington Park Recreation Centre, 87 Brentwood Dr, Hamilton
- Norman Pinky Lewis Recreation Centre, 192 Wentworth St N, Hamilton (during a Cold Alert, this warming centre will be open 12 noon to 7 pm)
- Westmount Recreation Centre, 35 Lynbrook Dr, Hamilton
Select community partner agencies are offering warm places as drop-in during cold alerts. Select community partner agencies are offering warm places or extended hours of operation as drop-in sites during cold alerts
- The Hub 78 Vine Street, Hamilton(at Vine and Park) Regular hours of operation: Daily from 5 pm to 9 pm Cold Alert Extended hours of operation 11 pm - 5 am
- Wesley Day Centre 52 Catherine Street North, Hamilton
Extended Hours of operation during Cold Alert:
Monday to Friday: 8:30 am to 4 pm & 5 pm to midnight
Saturday 8:30 am to 1:30 pm & 7 pm to midnight
Sunday 1 to 5 pm & 7 pm to midnight
Members of the public can report the location of a person in need of shelter to the Salvation Army at 905-527-1444 Ext. 0.
The best place for you during a Cold Alert is indoors. If you must be outside:
- Dress in layers of clothing. Keep inner layers dry. Wet clothing increases the risk of cold injury.
- Protect your face, ears and hands with a scarf, hat, and gloves.
- To protect your feet, socks must be dry. Wool is a good material to keep your feet dry.
- Drink warm fluids, but avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Avoid strenuous exercise.
For information about the Community Cold Response, community resources, warming centres & shelters, and signs of cold-related illness visit www.hamilton.ca/cold.
SOURCE: CITY OF HAMILTON