Province lifts restrictions, reopens Crown land

New Brunswick

The provincial government has lifted activity restrictions imposed on Crown lands earlier this month.

On June 19, all industrial and recreational activities were prohibited on Crown lands due to extremely dry conditions and the potential for forest fires.

The next day, government partially re-opened the lands for travel, but it was limited to before noon and after 8:00 p.m.

A release issued Monday says the Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development has lifted these restrictions.

Natural Resources and Energy Development Minister Mike Holland says in the release, "conditions have improved, but the forest fire threat is stil serious. Our forests are still dry and we need several days of steady rain to reduce the risk."

He also urged the public to refrain from setting off fireworks in forested areas on Canada Day.

The province says so far this year about 290 wildfires have burned more than 1,161 hectares of forest land in New Brunswick.